Thursday, June 30, 2011

Arkansas Anniversary

A little over 3 years ago,  on June 21, 2008, I married my high school sweetheart and best friend. I thank the Lord for Brett every day, even on the days he drives me bonkers  isn't a total dear.



On our honeymoon we pinkie swore like 5 year olds made a deal to go on some sort of trip every year in honor of our anniversary.  It could be something big or if it was a tight time, a nearby stay-cation would count.  For our one year anniversary we went to Vegas, 



Our second, we hit up Washington D.C. 



and this year for our third, since we were big-citied out, we decided to go the complete opposite route and set up a camping trip in Bull Shoals Arkansas. 
So after weeks of planning, packing, and setting up pet-sitting through Brett's handy little brother, we packed up all the goods, and were on the road by 3:42 am


We stopped at this lovely little hole in the wall in West Texas, that has THE BEST kolaches ever!  I love me some good kolaches and if you haven't had one from here, you are seriously missing out.  ( I told Brett that in the picture the man on the left is before discovering these AMAZING Kolaches, and the one on the right is after. HAHAHAHA ;) He's used to me saying ridiculous stuff like this all day, must I remind you that it is my job to spend my day with 5 year olds who tell it how it is?)


By the time we rolled into the little town of Flippin', Arkansas 13 hours later, a torrential rainstorm had blown in.  I hadn't seen rain in Texas in MONTHS and this was monsoon like!  Brett went into Walmart to get fishing licenses, Twizzlers, and a few other essentials and naturally that is when the sky opened up and it poured and poured like crazy.  I sat in the truck, watching our tent get soaked and hoping those plastic tubs we packed stuff in held up and trying not to panic, reading my nook, and eventually we went on to the campsite where the storm had already blown through. 



We made it to camp, discovered that the tent was NOT soaked through :), and got to work setting up.  The next morning we hit the river bright and early.  The White river is fed through a power-generating dammed lake where the water flows form the bottom and a was a constant 58 degrees.  Trout don't naturally do well this far down in the Ozarks, but due to this handy temp control, they THRIVE here and are stocked throughout the year.  It is literally some of the best trout fishing in America and the scenery is beautiful. 

That's the dam behind us

The view from the top of the dam.


Beautiful river view from the boat.  Since the water is so cold, it acts like air conditioning and was a life saver in the afternoons! 


Since we took our own johnboat, the hubs was my fishing guide and it took us a bit to work the kinks out,  the motor wouldn't start when I accidentally unhooked us too soon and freaked Brett out and caused him to flood it, the prop ate the drifting chain, and a few other little now funny mishaps, but it was worth the freedom it allowed us.   Guess who caught the first fish?  Yep, me of course on my awesome pink reel that catches ALL the big fish. ;)   



Brett caught up quick,

and caught the biggest fish of the whole trip.  A 16 inch, much less common, cutthroat trout. 

When we got back to camp, we made dinner.  It doesn't get any fresher than this.  If you have never had campfire cooked rainbow trout right off the bone, it is up there with those amazing Kolaches I shared with you earlier. 



Brad and Erin, aka the best in-laws ever, came and joined us for the weekend.  They live in St. Louis now, and we don't get to see them nearly enough, so it was oodles of fun.  plus when Brad is there, he baits all our hooks so Erin and I can talk the whole time and don't really have to pay much attention. 



The bait of choice for the fishing trip. 

Brad and Erin also taught us how to play skip-bo which I now love but Target has been sold out of since we got back.  And we made jiffy-pop which is almost as good as Alamo Drafthouse popcorn.


There was an abundance of wildlife that kept us entertained.  Meet my new friends... 
Bambi and his cousin Bambina

Peter Cottontail 

Bevo the GIANT moth thing (we are talking a good 6 inch wing span)

George, the bald eagle (maybe the bird that pooped on Brett on the last day?)

and Petunia, the peacock who we met when we went to a fancy lunch at the resort next door.  She wasn't technically wild but since she runs around entertaining the guests most of the day, she counts in my book. She also inspired my purchase of a pair of peacock earrings I found at a boutique near home a few days later.


Overall it was a beautiful trip an a great way to celebrate 3 fabulous years, even if the entire actual day was spent in the car on the way home. :)  Here is Brett bringing in the last fish. 


12:20 Always and Forever  Mr. Haby 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful time! Love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete