Monday, September 5, 2011

If he's anything like him… I'll be pleased!

lyrics from
If He's Anything Like Me ~ Brad Paisley 
are built into this post in blue 

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011, we got the gender news…

"I remember saying I don't care either way
Just as long as he or she is healthy I'm ok
Then the doctor pointed to the corner of the screen
And said "You see that thing right there well you know what that means"




and we are thrilled to announce that
It's a BOY!
Our dear son made it clear that HE is a healthy little guy! We are already in love, although Brett was in shock for a few hours that it really was a boy since he had convinced himself that it would be a little girl.  My mom is still in shock too, and I have got to break her of referring to the baby as a she. 

 The next morning I heard this song on the way to school and even though I have heard it oodles of times before, I was in tears, dreaming about the future we would get to enjoy with our son.

"And I started wondering who he was going to be
And I thought heaven help us if he's anything like me
He'll probably climb a tree too tall and ride his bike to fast
End up every summer wearing something in a cast
He's gonna throw a ball and break some glass in a window down the street
He's gonna get in trouble oh he's gonna get in fights
I'm gonna lose my temper and some sleep
It's safe to say that I'm gonna get my payback if he's anything like me"


I can see him right now knees all skinned up
With a magnifying glass trying to melt a Tonka truck
Won't he be a sight with his football helmet on
That'll be his first love til his first love comes along
He'll get his heart broke by the time he's in his teens
And heaven help him if he's anything like me

He'll probably stay out too late and drive his car too fast
Get a speeding ticket he'll pay for mowing grass
He's gonna get caught skipping class and be grounded for a week
He's gonna get in trouble we're gonna get in fights
I'm gonna lose my temper and some sleep
It's safe to say that I'm gonna get my payback if he's anything like me

He's gonna love me and hate me along the way
Years are gonna fly by I already dread the day
He's gonna hug his momma, he's gonna shake my hand
He's gonna act like he cant wait to leave
But as he drives out he'll cry his eyes out
If he's anything like me there's worse folks to be like
Aw he'll be alright if he's anything like me" 

My husband is one of 3 boys and his dad is one of 3 boys, so some say we are carrying on the Haby boy tradition! ;)  We are so excited about all of the memories we will get to make with our little guy and have spent the entire weekend celebrating the gift God has given us.  Naturally he probably won't be too much like me, but he will likely be A LOT like his daddy.  And you know what? I am just fine with that.  I am crazy in love with his daddy and he is a pretty awesome guy so I would be proud to raise a son like him.  In fact, he should win the husband/future daddy of the year award for all that he did this weekend to get ready for the kiddo who won't be making his debut until mid January! (He is usual a pretty good guy, but he has been excited about the news and was extra super these past few days.) 

- Friday night he went dove hunting while I went to pick out fabric and paint swatches for the nursery, something I had been looking forward to doing for months.  I had known exactly what I wanted to do for a boy, but was clueless on nursery ideas for a girl, so it worked out well.  Then when I came home with swatches, he actually gave me his opinion on things and LIKED my ideas! :)

- Saturday morning he woke up and suggested we go get started on the registries and start shopping for the nursery decor.  At Babies R' Us and Target, he helped in the decision making and later came home and checked all kinds of things out on consumer reports to make sure we were making good choices.  He even did all kinds of research on the idea we have for the video monitoring set-up, since I am clueless on all that technology stuff.  When we went to Bass Pro to get the rug, mount, and other stuff, he suggested the adorable bear sign for over the crib and got my mind rolling on the mobile. ;) Then he cheered on the horns for the both three of us through the computer screen (longhorn network annoyances anyone?)  since the flu shot I got at the doctor's office on Wednesday was making me feel pretty blah and I just laid in bed all evening. 


- Sunday he got up and went to try out a new church with me, then came home and moved the furniture around 35 bajillion times in the nursery and mock hung things up until I liked the way it all looked.  He even let me pick out the movie for movie night which is rare.

- This morning when we got up he told me he wanted to paint the nursery!  I hadn't been planning on doing this for awhile since I am so extremely busy at school right now AND considering taking my librarian's certification practice test this upcoming weekend…  But, he's the type that does better when he is motivated to do something that is his own idea versus me nagging begging him to do it, so I knew I better jump on this motivated train before it ran out of steam.  After we hit up Home Depot and made our weekly HEB trip he came home and made me blueberry pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Then, he spent the whole day painting and didn't complain when I left for a few hours to go meet my mom to buy the fabric for the room.  (I plan on sewing the bedding and curtains and recovering the gilder myself.  With help from my mom and grandmother in law of course.) Then when I got home he already had dinner in the oven and had done his run on the treadmill.  We finished up the room together and it looks awesome.  I think I told him that I LOVE the color 25 times (he picked it since I was indecisive between two shades even after staring at the samples on the wall for two days).  

What we started with.  Boring white walls.  I hate white walls btw…
Brett hard at work.  Even though the doctor said I could paint, he didn't like the idea of me on a ladder and did 98% of the painting himself.  ( I painted about 90% of the ENTIRE house when we moved in so this was new to me!)

The painting is completely done, minus a few touchups and it turned out exactly how I envisioned.  I am so very excited to see things starting to come together. 

Oh, and here is the fabric.  The stripes on the left are going to be for the crib bedskirt, the trees in the middle are going to be a part of the window coverings, and the brown material is going to be what we use to recover the glider. 


So all in all, we labored quite a bit this labor day weekend and I got NONE of the lesson planning and studying done that I had hoped,  but we loved every minute of it and my heart is so content that I don't mind one bit.  I usually don't brag this much on my hubs, but jeez he was a busy guy this weekend and I am so lucky to be married to him!  
Our little guy is going to have an awesome Daddy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment