Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pinterest Day 4

Today I decided to take on sewing with minky dot.  In case you are unfamiliar with the term, it is this super soft and snuggly fabric that is used in a ton of baby things (blankets, burp cloths, changing pads, bumpers, etc.)  It is a little pricey but worth it because it is so very cuddly and cozy, but you better know what you are doing with it so you don't waste the costly goodness.  Oh, and did I mention it is slightly stretchy and rumored to be kinda hard to sew with. Now, I am far from a pro at sewing and usually make things up as I go along/ follow tips from sewing blogs, but I found this pin which inspired me…. longhorn minky blanket



and then this one that provided me with simple directions easy for this intermediate sewer. minky how to

Since I LOVE super soft blankets and always want to be snuggled up in one, I am assuming Tucker will appreciate them too.  So, scary to work with minky, BRING IT ON! ;)   I had bought some fishing/outdoorsy flannel material awhile ago at JoAnn's with no idea of what I wanted to do with it, just knowing that I would use it for something for little guy.   I paired it with some brown minky, pinned it in like 50 billion places which is apparently the trick to sewing minky without a walking foot, and started up the machine. 



Stitch some, remove a pin, repeat again and again, trim, turn out, iron down the seams, stitch a simple topstitch, jam out to the new and super awesome Coldplay cd,



tell your husband to quit asking if you are done yet (yes like a little kid who wants to know if we are there yet), shake it out and then end up with this…. 


A super soft and extra cuddly blanket that is just right for Tucker.  It turned out pretty good for my first time making a blanket and using a difficult material at the same time! :)  



Happy Pinning!  Tomorrow is Friday and it is FINALLY starting to feel like fall! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment