Saturday, July 9, 2011

"Crossing" # 20 off the 25@25 list

When I started coming up with the 25@25 list last fall (I'll do a post next week with details on that whole literally life changing idea), my crafty self knew I had to put a new project of sorts on there, something I had never done before.  I don't even remember now where I first saw the "unique crosses" that jumpstarted the whole thing, but it has evolved into something I now love doing.  It took awhile to figure out the specifics, (saw blade, wood type and thickness, bonding glue, brushes, decoupage material, paper thickness, etc.) but over the past few months it has greatly evolved.
The first cross was a gift for Brett's grandma and I was super proud of it at the time, but  now I realize it was really just the start of the learning process.  The picture is of the church in Castroville that she is very involved in and that Brett and I got married in.
The second one I did was for a friend's daughter's nursery.  I matched it to her crib bedding and added initials and some ribbon details.


The third one was for my sister-in-law.  It is done in her wedding colors and patterns and has their wedding picture, date and Mr. & Mrs. Haby details.

 


The fourth was for another friend's son's nursery.  This one has a ribbon wrapped cross detail and complements the crib bedding.  (It is attached to the diaper cake since it was part of a shower gift)
The fifth and most recent one I did was by far the hardest, probably because someone wanted to pay me for it so every little imperfection bugged my OCD self, and took forever since I was doing summer grad school at the time, but also ended up being one of my favorites.   It is for a coworker's niece's nursery and has ribbon detail around the middle cross and pink pearl details. 


So now I get to cross off
 #20: Learn to make unique crosses.     Done :) 


This is by far one of my favorite things I have accomplished on my list but also one of the hardest.  I love making them since I get to design the whole thing and try something new every time, but they sure do take forever since it is all done by hand from scratch.  I think the next one needs to be for a room in my own house though....

No comments:

Post a Comment